In 2009, an estimate study conducted by the United States Department of Energy’s Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center (CDIAC) for the United Nations about the CO2 emission of each country revealed that:
- Annually the internet industry produces more than 830 million tones of CO2
- This is equivalent to CO2 emissions produced by the global airline industry
- It is 166 times greater than all the fuel, oil, and gas burned in Lebanon
However, in spite of all these facts the internet is growing at a fast rate and is expected to double by 2020.
Like everyone else playing their role in reducing CO2 emissions, we as a Web design agency can also play our part to reduce them through various methods.
Green hosting, also called Eco-friendly hosting, refers to the use of green technologies to reduce the impact of harmful emissions on the environment. Data centers require a lot of energy to power the servers and to also keep the servers cool to prevent them from overheating.
Green Web Development and Design
Some procedures can reduce carbon emission that can result during website production and speed up the website load time. These tips include:
- Using the “save for web” tool available in Adobe Photoshop to compress images
- Using HTML5 and CSS3 to replace graphic elements
- Outsourcing some graphic elements from CSS such as Borders, shadows, gradient etc
- Using small images and avoiding large images as much as you can